Orthopedic implants are medical devices utilized to provide bone fixation. They are also utilized to replace articulating surfaces in various body joints. There are several joints and bones that might require repair because of injury, wearing out or disease. Orthopedic implants are utilized to strengthen or fully replace the joints in the damaged region or damaged bones.
Orthopedic implants are inserted into the body utilizing surgical procedures. These surgeries are always performed by highly skilled surgeons who have specialized in this specific field. When a joint has worsened beyond a certain point, the injured joint is removed and then replaced with an orthopedic implant using special Orthopedic Instruments developed specifically for this surgical procedure.
Most of these orthopedic implants are made from stainless steel and titanium alloys, some of which may be then lined with plastic. The metallic structure offers strength to the orthopedic implant, while the plastic surface acts as artificial cartilage. Usually, the implants are fitted into place and the bone is enabling to grow into the implant for improved strength. Sometimes the orthopedic implants are also cemented for improved adhesion.
Need for Orthopedic Implants
The cartilage surrounding the bone makes joint work smoothly. Degenerative joint diseases such as osteoarthritis result in the wearing out of cartilage and producing friction between moving bones in a joint. This can cause discomfort and a lot of pain whenever there is joint movement. Excessive weight and other factors can also be a cause of cartilage loss. Doctor opts for the orthopedic implants when other treatments fail to improve the situation.
Different Types of Orthopedic Implants
There are various orthopedic instruments utilized to insert and place the joints in its position inside the body. Interlocking nails, safety locking plates, pins, wires, small/large/ mini fragment implants, external fixators, cannulated screws, cranio maxillofacial implants, and many other orthopedic instruments are utilized in these processes.
The elbow, knee, shoulder, and hip joints are some of the body joints most affected by cartilage loss. Implants are designed to withstand the movement and stress associated with each type of joint. This can then accurate the affected function of the joint and reduce pain while at the same time increasing the joint mobility.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Orthopedic Bone Plates:-
Orthopedic implants can significantly increase the mobility of a patient as well as at same time decrease the pain related with movement of joint. This will allow patients to enjoy the quality of life that they led before.
Nothing to worry on the implementation of orthopedic bone plates because most of the plates are made of titanium which is inserted in human body. This type orthopedic bone plates are not harmful for human body, but you may know that there are many advantages and disadvantages of using such orthopedic bone plates.
Advantages of Orthopedic Implants:
- The main advantages of using orthopedic titanium bone plates is that it helps to repair your broken bone at a short period of time.
- The second is If you are above sixty then it is not necessary to get removed the titanium bone plates from your body.
- According to the research says your weight is also matter it depends on weather you should get your bone plates removed or not because the researchers found that if you are an under-weight then it does not effect on your day to day work but in case if you are not then it may effect on your day to day work.
- If you are going to use orthopedic bone plates on the lower section on your body then it is easy to manage, and you will not be needed to remove the plates at all.
Disadvantages of Orthopaedic Implants:
- The first and foremost problems that arises are the bone plates may loosen & back it out from your broken bone after time to time which needs repairing also.
- In some cases, there is a slight percentage of chance of bone plates cause due to misplace or wrong surgery, however we know that the titanium bone plates are quite strong & long lasing.
- If you are under sixty or an adult, then it would be a good idea to get removed because we know about the human growth procedure.
- If the orthopedic locking bone plates are placed in few parts in our body like
- Proximal Femur
- Knee Joint
- Foot Areas
- Proximal Ulna, then you may face some problems, however it may take few years to be found the cause.
These are the consequence, but we would highly recommend you take the advice of orthopedic surgeon on this matter before taking any other such step.